Investor Glossary-total returnInvestor Glossary-total returnInvestor Glossary-total returnInvestor Glossary-total returnInsightful stock market charts - Click here
investor
Categories    # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Total Return

The HTML to link to this page
 

Total return is the sum of dividends, interest, and capital gain or loss. Total return is calculated for a certain time period, usually one year. Total return is used with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, options, etc. For example, if a stock has a 3% dividend and a 12% increase in price when it is sold, its total return will be 15%. If it has a 3% dividend and a 12% loss in price when sold, its total return will be -9%. Total return is a common goal among investors, though high dividends and price appreciation are often not attainable with the same investment. There are some mutual funds, aptly called total return funds, that seek particular stocks and bonds that maximize total return.



Rate this total return definition...

Learn about investing with the Investor Glossary Term of the Day


Click here for insightful stock market charts. Where is the market headed? The answer may surprise you. Find out
with the exclusive & Barron's recommended charts of Chart of the Day.


Popular Terms: real GDP, inflation, phantom income, liquidity ratio, per diem, retained earnings, FICO score, Key Rate Duration, Zero Cost Collar, deferred tax, covered put, labor relations, irrevocable trust, ex-dividend date, minority interest, option premium, command economy, 1031 exchange, 1035 exchange, 401a, dividends payable, risk management, current ratio, LIBOR, balance sheet, open position, VIX, implied volatility, EBITDA, in escrow, 144a, margin rate, stock market close, quality assurance, reverse mortgage, stock split, diluted share, wholly-owned subsidiary, required rate of return, average price per share, debt service coverage, APR, annual return, ex-dividend, cancelled check, deferred revenue, FTSE, limit order, class C shares


Investor Glossary | Term of the Day | Suggest a Term | Chart of the Day | Dogs of the Dow
Investor Glossary Index >>> # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Accounting | Banking | Bonds | Brokers | Economy | Futures | Mutual Funds | Options | Real Estate | Retirement | Stocks | Taxes | Technical Analysis
©2004-2014 Investor Glossary - All rights reserved - Terms of Use